First Baptist Church
of the First Baptist Church of Cañon City
Leaving Iowa in May of 1864, a group of Baptists arrived in Cañon City in August. Their Pastor was Reverend Barzellai Modezette Adams.
They began construction of a building on the north side of the 400 block of Main Street. The structure was made of adobe and consisted of two rooms with a baptistry under the pulpit. With the help of the members (including one who sold his milk cow to pay for the wooden floor), they completed the building in 1869 at a cost of $1,500.
During the years of 1883-1889, they began to raise funds to purchase the land at the present location (7th and Macon) from Anson Rudd. The year before completion, they met at the Presbyterian Church, which was located where the current public library stands. The new building was then dedicated in 1892.
In 1894 and 1896, this congregation sent a Pastor and delegates to Cripple Creek and Anaconda to establish churches there.
In the 1930’s, members purchased an organ from the Santa Fe (silent movie) Theater in Denver for a cost of $2,500. Still in use today, it has 754 pipes, 1,619 notes, 20 chimes, a bass drum, snare drum cymbals, a triangle, tom tom, bird whistle, siren, doorbell and auto horn. The organ light was given in memory of Nelson Moorhead’s wife, Louise, who was the organist for 71 years, beginning at the age of 13.
The educational addition was constructed in 1952 using stone from an existing cupola plus a building at the old Soda Point Springs on the west end of Cañon.
The stained glass windows reflect symbols of our belief and faith: the Crown, the Holy Bible, the Ten Commandments, the Dove, the Easter Lily, and the Anchor.
We are grateful and humbled by the over 150 years this congregation has in His (continuing) Story…